CALL FOR PAPERS /
The IEEE Submission portal is now open. Please refer to the submission guidelines and link below.
Conference Research Themes
The main conference themes for this year are serious and applied games for health and wellness, interactive or immersive experiences with a special focus on experiences emphasizing the unique properties of the mediums utilized, and pedagogy and methodology for education utilizing motion capture, VR, AR, and other immersive media. Each of these themes engages a broad array of both technological and cultural considerations that ranges in scope from machine learning and computer vision to the social and political implications of an expanded definition of reality.
GEM delegates are encouraged to submit original research works exploring these new, emerging possibilities to create exciting, engaging, authentic digital gaming and interactive-media experiences for end-users. The main conference tracks are:
Academic Research Themes
• GEM in the Cloud
• Mobile & Wearable Technologies for GEM
• Augmented & Virtual Reality in GEM
• Social and Economic Aspects of Digital GEM
• Societal & Behavioural Impacts of GEM
• Medical Applications of GEM
• Augmented Spaces for GEM
• Emerging Technologies:
o User Interface
o Touch & Haptics
o Motion Capture
o Distributed Intelligence
• Serious Gaming
• Education & Learning through GEM
• Artificial Intelligence in GEM
o AI Engines & Accelerators
o Deep Learning & Neural Networks
Industry Research Themes
• GEM Design, Development & User Experience
• Serious Gaming & Industry Applications
• Practical Case Studies of GEM
• GEM Platforms & Infrastructure
• Standards & Open-Source GEM
Peer & Invited Contributions
Peer-Reviewed Contributions (Academic)
• Long/Short Paper + Oral Presentation (20 mins)
• Long Paper + Poster
Peer-Reviewed Contributions (Industry)
• Long Oral Presentation (PPT slides, 20 mins)
• Industry Demo (Tabletop - Slides optional)
• Keynote Talk (PPT slides, 30-45 mins)
• Panel Session
• Special Oral Session (3-5 long papers)
• Special Poster Session (8+ posters)
• Tutorials & Hand-on Workshops
• Special Exhibitions
Plenary Keynote Sessions:
GEM will feature 6 plenary keynote sessions. Details will be available shortly on the conference website.
The conference proceedings may be published in IEEE Xplore as well as other Abstracting and Indexing (A&I) databases.
In addition, there will be opportunities for special sections in several IEEE Journals and technical Magazines including:
• IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics
• IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine
• IEEE Technology in Society Magazine
Immersive, Interactive, and Experiential Sessions:
GEM has a tradition of emphasizing new and emerging technologies and their role in improving and enhancing the user experience, interactivity and social aspects of gaming and interactive media.
This year we will have numerous interactive works and experiences that demonstrate the broad range of possibilities available to those exploring emerging media. Special emphasis will be on experiences that are not replicating pre-existing technologies but rather exploring the expanding vocabulary and new possibilities inherent to nascent media.
Several industry-led sessions with a focus on new audio & display technologies and other novel approaches to providing enhanced and augmented interactive spaces will be announced shortly on the main conference website.